Thursday, November 6, 2014

Arbi Fry- A Guest Post By My Kicthen Odyssey


The most important perk of blogging if you ask me is making a new friend everyday. Just using your desktop and with few clicks you get to talk and know the person behind the website/blog. I came across Sathya Priya , a passionate and a very hardworking blogger who blogs at -My Kitchen Odyssey

She as a person is very sweet, one who appreciates your work and makes sure to leave motivating comments on your post. Her blog is all about amazing south Indian recipes-be it easy and simple ones, or the lavish treats-she has it all. There are step by step pictures in every post which is so helpful and useful in understanding the recipe easily. Her stove top lime cookies are so unique and well explained-oh you have to try it. I also love this list of chettinad special in her blog-the collection is so wide that I can’t pickup my favourite. Do check it out.

Today, as a guest blogger she bring before us a famous south Indian side dish called Arbi Fry and I am so happy to announce Merry Tummy loves My Kitchen Odyssey.

Over to our chit-chat session!

Shweta-What made you start blogging? How long have you been blogging? Is there any particular etiquette that you like to maintain while blogging?
Priya-Just as a hobby and utilize my free time for others. I am blogging for more than one year now and there is no etiquette I follow- just like to please others with my pictures and food, that’s it.

Shweta-Okay, so which is your favourite ingredient in the kitchen and why?
Priya-Favorite ingredient is onion (Favorite changes from time to time though) Without onion I can't or don't cook much of the food.

Shweta- So, you are a busy mom and kids are generally choosing junk food. How do you manage to cook food for your kid's taste also keeping in mind the needs for nutrients? Is there any tip that you will like to share with other mothers?
Priya- I always insist my daughter to eat healthy .In case if she wants some sweet or chocolate its limited ,like only one a day .I usually have nutritious food in hand either whole wheat bread or multigrain crackers -If my daughter is hungry I will just feed her with this . She very much likes fruits, so I stock fruits. Every mother must always give fresh foods; try to make it from scratch at home (if you find time).

Shweta- Now moving on, which ingredient scares you the most and why?
Sathya Priya-I am little scared of yeasted breads .It’s difficult to rise and baking inside out is tough.I am thinking of  getting a thermometer for measuring the inside temperature, so that I won't be scared anymore of it.

Shweta- Me too, can’t handle yeast so well. So, how do you spend your time other than cooking and blogging?
Sathya Priya-I just browse recipes, hear music and watch movies.

Shweta- That’s nice. Also, like any other profession, I am sure cooking also has its share of difficult instances. Any such awkward moment?
Sathya Priya-Yeah the first time when I posted my recipes, I was scared of how people will react or will I get any recognition? After reading lots and lots about blogging and connecting with many blogger friends, i am just getting to enjoy it more.

Shweta- So which is one thing that you do not like about blogging?
Sathya Priya- Using social networking sites. It’s very difficult to share on different social media and I just hate it.

Shweta- And the final question, which is your most proud moment in the blogging?
Sathya Priya- When people say I tried your recipe and it tasted great I feel very proud.Waiting for a day where I get loads of mails from readers saying "I just love your recipes"

With warm welcome over to Priya

Arbi fry is a dry curry made by boiling the root and mixing with rice flour and some spices and roasting it on the tava. It can be accompanied along with rasam rice, sambhar rice or any mild rice variety. You can also deep fry arbi to make it more crunchy .Have it hot, that’s the secret to enjoy this root.


Preparation time: 20 min+10 min rest time
Cooking time: 12 -15 min
Serves: 2-3

Ingredients:
1 pound arbi/Sepankilangu
2 tsp rice flour/Arisi maavu
1 tsp corn flour/Chola maavu
3/4 tsp chili chicken masala/Can be substituted with 1/2 tsp chili powder and 1/4 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp oil+1/2 tsp oil

Method:
Pressure cook arbi for a whistle or two( don't cook it too much it will become  mushy). Cool arbi and peel the skin off.
Slice it in to 1 inch pieces (if the arbi is too thick make a cut in the middle and slice again).
Add rice flour, corn flour, Chili chicken masala, salt, 1/2 tsp oil and little water.
Add in the remaining spices. Mix it well . Make sure that paste coats well on arbi.
Keep the marinated arbi for 10 min .
Heat oil in tava/pan. When hot, add arbi in one layer and cook it for 3 minutes on one side (check if it’s roasted properly).
Flip and roast the other side as well..
Serve it hot with rasam rice or sambhar rice .

Thank you from Merry Tummy

If you wish to be my guest please send me an email at agrawal.shweta.n@gmail.com

8 comments:

  1. Thanks very much shweta .I am happy that my post is one among yours .

    ReplyDelete
  2. True that we make lots of friends through blogging.NICE recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely chit chat, loved reading it. I have never cooked with arbi but would like to try out this recipe when I am in India next time. My daughter likes arbi.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats a nice chit chat !!! delicious recipe...!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love that curry..well done...

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow such an tempting arbi fry :) wonderful guest post you two :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow... A lovely arbi fry.. We make it quite similar and serve it with sambar.

    ReplyDelete

Do not be a silent reader, do leave your comments :)