Monday, July 28, 2014

Marwadi Papad Ki Subji, Curry Without Veggies



Last whole week was very interesting for me. It was a free week-too much time for me, too many movies and very little cooking. Don’t you just love when you get some ‘me time’? I am sure you do! Mr. Husband was in Hong Kong for the whole week and I had too much spare time-which I use neither in cooking nor in clicking. It was a movie marathon time for me-I watched 12 movies. I even shared on my Facebook page about the movie Julie and Julia-trust me every food blogger/lover must see this movie. It is awesome-period!

Coming back to today’s post, it is once again from my Marwadi kitchen- Papad Ki Subji/Poppadoms Curry. Yes that’s possible- people all over Rajasthan use papad to make curry and it is really really popular and my personal favourite. Whose idea was that? Who was such a genius? Well that we don’t know yet, but I am sure it was the necessity that turned out to be this amazing invention. The shortage of rains and water always made Rajasthanis think out of the box and thus they commenced using gram flour to make gatte; lentils to make mangodi and flour to make papad- and these final products were used in curries-Mastermind ideas. Totally brilliant-isn't it???


Marwadi cuisine is my favorite; after all I am a marwadi that too from Rajasthan. Months back I blogged about Marwadi Aloo Pyaz Ki Subji and the response was unbelievable-it was the most popular recipe on my blog for months; fellow blogger tried and loved it. Next, I posted about Marwadi BharwaBhindi and it too was liked by many. Soon I got requests about posting more marwadi recipes on my blog. So here it is.

Papad ki subji can be made in many ways; I am ofcourse sharing the authentic marwadi style. It is one no nonsense curry-no chopping of vegetables, no onion, no garlic; just simple yogurt and basic spices are used. The roasted papads are broken roughly and is added to the yogurt gravy with spoon full of chopped coriander leaves-the outcome is lip smacking, spicy curry.


Ingredients:
Papads – 10
2 tablespoons oil
1 teaspoon cumin seeds/jeera
Pinch asafoetida/hing
1/2 cup yogurt/dahi
1 and 1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons Coriander Powder/dhaniya
1 tablespoon gram flour/besan
1/2 teaspoon Turmeric Powder/haldi
To taste- red chilli powder/lal mirchi
To taste-salt
2 tabelspoons coriander leaves chopped/dhaniya
1 tablespoons lemon juice

Method:
Roast/ fry/ microwave the Papads. Break them into pieces.
In a pan, heat the oil and add in the Cumin Seeds and allow them to splutter. Add in the asafoetida.
Meanwhile, work on the ingredients for the gravy, in a cup mix the yogurt and 1/2 cup of water. To the Yogurt mix add spices: Coriander Powder, Turmeric Powder, Gram Flour, Red Chili Powder and Salt. Mix well.
Turn down the heat to the lowest and add the yogurt/water mix while stirring constantly.
Keep stirring and once the mixture is all in the pan, increase the heat to a medium. Allow the mixture to reduce and the oil to separate.
Add the broken pieces of papad and mix.
Add the remaining water and allow it to cook for 8-10 minutes.
Taste and adjust the spices, add lemon juice if needed.
Garnish with Cilantro and serve hot.


Notes:
If the yogurt is not sour, leave the yogurt on the counter-top overnight to get it to sour.
Don’t add too much salt first time, remember papad has salt.
You can chopped onion and garlic too, before adding yogurt gravy in the oil.
You can use any papad you want to, I used Natco Cumin/Jeera ones.


16 comments:

  1. delicious and this is in my todo list too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Movie marathon?...lucky u ;)the subzi looks delicious... Lovely clicks !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! gr8 idea. new to me.looks yummy and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Subji looks delicious......my fav too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i am a serious indian food lover.. never had a curry like this before, definitely a recipe i will be recreating in my kitchen. thanks for sharing - you learn something new every day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is something i would love to give a try definitely,highly inviting Subji.

    ReplyDelete
  7. New n unique recipe dear..Thanx for sharing,Shweta..will try it sometym :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super-simple and yet delicious!!! I tried papad in curries with some other ingredient as a star... But this one is keeper!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such wonderful recipe Shweta ! I have had this once during the trip to Rajasthan and that was it.. would love to try it again on my own ..

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a delicious looking curry....definitely going to try this :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Will def try this...looks delish dear

    ReplyDelete
  12. awesome recipe simple and best. will surely try.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very simple and clear.was searching for this since a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Simple and easy recipe.was searching for this recipe since a while . thanks

    ReplyDelete

Do not be a silent reader, do leave your comments :)