Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Tuesday's Tip- No Overnight Soaking, Quick Soak Method For Legumes


We all have so many things to do for the whole day, sometimes this and sometimes that. We live in such a busy world with our minds thinking about so many matters at one time. Ok! Yeah, there is a reason why I am talking about being busy and stuff, because in our schedule we all always need to remember one thing that is to soak beans or legumes overnight.

Preplanning the next day’s meal and remembering to soak the beans overnight can sound like an insurmountable task. Well for me it is always, I sometimes even have to set up an alarm on my cell to remind me that I have to soak beans.

I tried another method which I named as “Quick Soak Method” which is so helpful and easy that without any pre-planning I can still make beans. This method can be followed for any legumes that needs overnight soaking like rajma/ red kidney beans, chola/chickpeas, black eyed beans , kala channa etc etc.

Quick soak method -Rinse beans or any legumes you are using in cold water. Put them in a large pot and cover with about 3 inches of cold water. Bring almost to a boil (small bubbles appear around the edges of the pot), cover, and remove from heat. Let it sit for 1 hour. Drain. The beans will be "soaked" and ready to cook.


Using this method the beans will be doubled in size and will be ready to cook (just at a stage of overnight soaking condition). Simple follow the recipe and use your beans.

Do try this quick soak method and enjoy your legumes today.


* Disclaimer :::: Not all the information mentioned above is my own and some of it are taken from various books and online sources like Google including the pics. My pics will have my logo on them , rest all are taken randomly from Google

26 comments:

  1. I prefer the overnight soaking but don't use the alarm. I try to plan my meals therefore I am so far able to cope. That said, I learned new tips which I should start following.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I generally soak over-nite , thanks for sharing this tip .

    http://www.followfoodiee.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks dear for sharing such a great tip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always try this though I prefer using the conventional method....but if I need to, then I do this... Lovely click

    ReplyDelete
  5. i often forget to soak and keep blinking what to cook .
    Thanks for the tip..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Useful info.. Thanks for sharing Shweta :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shweta, that is a great tip. I rely on pressure cooker if I forget to soak the beans. But then it takes many whistles to get the beans cooked. Loving each Tuesday's tip!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Useful and great tips! I always used to soak over-night but now I can do this! :)
    http://www.rita-bose-cooking.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Useful and great tips! I always used to soak over-night but now I can do this! :)
    http://www.rita-bose-cooking.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. very useful tip shewtha :) thanks for sharing us :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That was a very useful tip,i often want to make some legumes knowing that i havent soaked.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG ! This post is made for me!! Thank u so much for this wonderful tip. I usually do quick soak for green gram, didn't know you can do for others too ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks a ton for your super handy tip.. Worked magically for someone as forgetful as me😀

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lot of thanks.....I worried about soaking overnight.... But I found ur site very useful

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks a ton for the useful tip !

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your link showed up right on top when I Googled for 'Chole not soaked overnight'. I am going to try this out right now, wish me luck & thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You saved me... Thanks a ton!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I need to do this today with black lentils that I forgot to soak last night! I can't wait to do it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ok....I'm using this tip..... Let's hope it works..will post results soon!

    ReplyDelete

Do not be a silent reader, do leave your comments :)